Due to COVID-19 and for safety reasons, the Shadowing Program is suspended until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Shadowing Program is intended to provide high school or college students a career orientation under the mentorship of an attending physician. It offers an experience in the medical field for students interested in exploring Medicine as a career.
All of the participants will be assigned to an attending physician, will follow him/her during his regular working schedule for a period of 2 to 4 weeks.
- Expose the student to hospital and ambulatory based medicine
- Become familiar with the needs of cancer patients
- Identify the level of knowledge and skills expected of a medical student
- Observed daily activities of an attending physician
- Become familiar with a wide range of specialties within Medicine
- Identify potential mentors and career advisors
- Explore a realistic experience in the workday of the specialties within Medicine
- Expand their knowledge in Medicine
- High school senior, 17 years old or older. Those older than 21 will require parental or guardian sign permission.
- Interested in a career in Medicine
- Minimum GAP of 3.5
- Fluent in Spanish or English
- The Hospital Oncológico Dr. Isaac González Martínez reserves the right to terminate this shadowing experience at any time
Application process and requirements
- Contact with Medical Director’s office (787-763-4149 x1066) to obtain the application form
- Attend to orientation meeting: including brief orientation on HIPAA, confidentialities guidelines, infection control and emergency/safety procedures
- Complete the application form, Emergency medical form and sign Confidentiality Statement
- Sign the permission form, those under 21 years of age
- Copy of up to date immunization record, must include
- Influenza (during the season)
- Hepatitis B
- Wear a white coat
- Wear an ID provided by the Hospital
- Application Fee $75 check payable to Facultad Médica Hospital Oncológico (for the tumor boards)
- Patients will be informed by the attending and will need to consent to the activity
- Students are guests at the Hospital facility, therefore it is expected that the participant will act courteously and respectfully at all times. Students should display active listening skills and a positive attitude. If at any time the attending feels the student’s conduct is inappropriate, they may ask the student to leave the hospital premises
- Smoking IS PROHIBITED
- Dress code: no shorts, no hats, no miniskirts, no bare midriffs, clean and comfortable shoes. Clean and tidy looking clothes. Do not wear clothes that revealed skin
- Cell phones are not allowed while interacting with patients, if necessary must be kept in bags at an assign locker
- Coordination of rotation schedule and assignment to participating faculty will be through the Medical Director’s Office
- All of the documents will be filled completely and returned to the Medical Director’s Office at least 2 weeks before the starting date
- Monday to Friday during regular working hours, to be assigned at the Medical Director’s Office
- Rotation will take place at the attending’s clinic, during rounds to ward or at the OR
Shadowing student’s responsibilities
- If the students is sick must notify his/her assigned attending physician for cancellation and rescheduling. If the whole rotation is affected, rescheduling will be done through the Medical Director’s Office.
- Participants must be on time as per the daytime schedule agreed with the attending physician.
- If the student is absent without prior notification to his attending or Medical Director’s Office, the experience will be canceled as a whole and no extra opportunities will be offered.
- $75 application fee is non-refundable
- Emergency authorization form
- Parent/ guardian permission for participants under 21
- Students shadowing evaluation form
No candidate shall be discriminated on a basis of race, color, sexual orientation, disability or religious belief.